Mythic Survival 'Professions' Update (March 9th, 2018)

Discussion in 'News' started by Naxdy, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Naxdy

Naxdy That Guy
    Staff Member

These changes are not live yet. They will be live on March 9th, 2018.

Hey all,

it's about time for another Mythic Survival update! This update is going to introduce a whole new game mechanic & a new way to spend your time to Mythic Survival!

Professions

Professions are a new type of content coming to Mythic Survival. Think of them like little side-projects to spend your time on, besides mining & looting chests! They are partly inspired by mcMMO-like mechanics, but don't actually use any of these systems.

Starting March 9th, there will be 3 professions coming to Mythic Survival. You have to do nothing to acquire them, everybody starts with them! However, you may need some special items to start working with them.

New Profession: Archaeology

This profession will require you to use the new uncommon special item Fantastic Digger, which can be looted from mobs & chests. The item itself is a shovel, and can be used to dig (like any other), but also has a special right-click ability, which allows you to find digsites in desert biomes.

Digsites consist of various nodes, which are revealed by right-clicking with the Fantastic Digger in your hand. Upon doing so, you will be directed towards the nearest node. If standing very close to it when using the digger, a glowing effect will appear above one of the near sand blocks, indicating the node's exact location. Once you see the glowing effect, you can dig up the node to receive a special item of random rarity (guaranteed at least uncommon)!

Nodes are not affected by your loot boost, but by your Archaeology profession level (which increases every time you dig up a node). Digsites are per-player and the server remembers where you have successfully dug already, so if you find a node, you'll need to move on to find another.

There are some special items that are exclusive to digsites, including the legendary shovel Ancient Spade! (more details below)

Note that by default, you can NOT find legendary items using Archaeology!

Leveling up your Archaeology skill (which ranges from 1-800) also enables you to find some Archaeology-exclusive items! Here are a few examples:
    • Level 100: Chance to find Fossil Tooth
    • Level 200: Chance to find Amber
    • Level 500: Chance to find Ancient Enchanter
    • Level 800: Chance to find Ancient Spade
    New Profession: Fishing

Fishing is already a thing in Minecraft, but Mythic Survival's fishing is going to be something else! Just like Archaeology, you will now have a Fishing profession level from 1 to 800, which increases every time you fish something up that's not garbage.

Based on your location & weather conditions you're fishing at, you can also find some special items! Unlike Archaeology however, you cannot find any Fishing-exclusive special items. You can find legendaries though!

Here are some other noteworthy items you can find when fishing:
    • Level 100: Chance to find uncommon & rare special items when fishing in ocean biomes (affected by your loot boost)
    • Level 200: Chance to find Essence of Frost during rain or thunder in ocean biomes
    • Level 500: Chance to find epic special items when fishing in ocean biomes (affected by your loot boost)
    • Level 800: Chance to find legendary items when fishing (affected by your loot boost)
    New Profession: Arcanology

This isn't as much a profession as it is simply a stat attached to your character. Arcanology has a profession level from 1 to 10 and can only be leveled by using Tomes of Arcane Knowledge on your account. Your Arcanology profession level now determines the magnitude & duration of spells you are casting.

Special Items Changes & Additions

To make spells more newbie-friendly, spellstones are going to be entirely removed from Mythic Survival. Clicking an existing spellstone will transform it into a stack of spellbooks (depending on how many were used to make that spellstone).

Spellbooks now have charges applied to them, similar to item durability. Freshly looted spellbooks have 5 charges (i.e. can be used 5 times) before they get destroyed. This will also make it so that legendary spells (i.e. Spiritwalk) are moved to your ender chest upon dying and heavily decreases the amount of grinding that has to be done in order to perform a decent level spell.

Details:
    • Fossil Tooth (Archaeology): New uncommon item. Right Click: Gain Strength II for 1 minute and 30 seconds.
    • Fantastic Digger: New uncommon item. Right Click: Identify a nearby archaeological digsite and this loses durability. Must be in a desert to use this item.
    • Rare Enchanter: New rare item. Drag any unenchanted weapon, tool or piece of armor on top of this while in your inventory to apply random max level enchantments to it. This item is consumed in the process.
    • Amber (Archaeology): New rare item. Drag this on top of any weapon, tool or piece of armor to encase it in amber and fully repair it. Works on special items. This item is consumed in the process.
    • Epic Enchanter: New epic item. Drag any unenchanted weapon, tool or piece of armor on top of this while in your inventory to apply random overload enchantments to it. This item is consumed in the process.
    • Ancient Enchanter (Archaeology): New epic item. Drag any unenchanted weapon, tool or piece of armor on top of this, to apply a random ancient enchantment to it. This item is consumed in the process. (these enchantments are utility enchantments such as depth strider, frost aura, fortune, etc. and are always max level or higher; can stack with existing enchantments, but acts as a reroll and may override their values)
    • Spellstone: Removed.
    • Mystic Scrambler: No longer works on damaged tools/weapons or spellbooks that don't have all their charges left.
    • Ancient Spade (Archaeology): New legendary item. Right Click: Identify a nearby archaeological digsite and this loses durability. Digsites identified with this item have a chance to reward you with a legendary item. Must be in a desert to use this item.
    • Tome of Ancient Knowledge: New legendary item. Right Click: Increase your Arcanology skill by 1, up to a maximum of 10, greatly increasing your spell power.
    • Totem of Safekeeping: Now a legendary item and can be found in the game.
    Other Changes:
    • Spiritwalk will now display your remaining time in spirit form in your scoreboard. (the same applies to monstrosity)
    • Warps can no longer be set in the end and the nether. This is because an upcoming update is going to replace those two dimensions with the underworld. More on that when it's time. Please make sure to move all valuables away from these dimensions whenever you find the time.

This is going to be a huge update, so don't be surprised if it has to be delayed, or if I need to cut stuff. The release date is based on my current schedule, which is (unfortunately) always subject to change.

I'm also planning to roll out a quick Dungeon pricing update soon-ish (before this one).

As always, your feedback is greatly appreciated!

#1 Naxdy, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  2. 8ohmy

8ohmy Member
    Legacy Member

Along the same lines as the Anvil of the Gods and the new Amber, will there be any way to replenish a spellbook's charges?

3. Naxdy

Naxdy That Guy
    Staff Member

Not in this update, and I'm very reluctant to implement something like this, because spellbooks have a much higher power level than armor.

Compare the act of replenishing a Herobrine's Sword over replenishing a Spiritwalk for instance. The sword has a lot of unbreaking on it, so if you do a lot of PvE content, chances are you're going to find another one well before your current one dares breaking. With the newly added Amber, you can repair your breaking sword and replace the newly looted Herobrine's Sword without a problem.

With Spiritwalk however, it has 5 uses before it expires and its drop rate is fairly low considering its rarity. If there was an item in the game that allowed you to reliably replenish its charges, you could use Spiritwalk much more freely than intended, and virtually spam players with it, until one of them falls for it, which is not intended. (the intended way is to go very smart about attaching to someone)

That said, if I were to make an item that replenishes spellbook charges, it would have to be legendary at least, or have the restriction of not extending legendary charges. Alternatively, a mythic item with a custom challenge would work as well. I'm not ruling it out just yet, I'm merely saying that it's a very complicated issue due to the variety in items that exist, and that I am planning to add soon.

4. 8ohmy

8ohmy Member
    Legacy Member

That's a shame. My favourite items are the ones like the Mythic armour, which never break so I can hoard them forever (my precious).

That being said, this update sounds like a massive improvement on how spells work. Five uses from each Spiritwalk book, rather than having to use multiple books (in order to get a decent duration) on a spellstone that I'm probably going to lose the first time I use it, makes using it as a tracker seem far more feasible. Additionally, if the rarity of spellstones is about to skyrocket, it sounds like I have another item for my trophy hall. :cool:

5. Naxdy

Naxdy That Guy
    Staff Member

Keep in mind spellstones are going to automatically convert into the appropriate spellbooks once the update hits. Gotta get them into the trophy hall before that ;)

6. 8ohmy

8ohmy Member
    Legacy Member

Done. That being said, I've only put the empty spellstones in, since I want to get the spellbooks from the other ones. Will empty spellstones just vanish?

7. Naxdy

Naxdy That Guy
    Staff Member

No, empty spellstones are going to convert into another random epic item, because otherwise players who looted them will end up having missed out on an epic item. Considering their low drop rate, that would be a major bummer to say the least.